Forum 95: Checklist Online-documentation

Subject: Forum 95: Checklist Online-documentation
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 15:34:00 LCL

Hello,

This is the last part of my checklist series. Thank you for your private
some more pointers to other information.

To repeat it: This checklist is intended to define how, you as a writer of
online documentation, will interact with the programmers of your project. This
checklist will be my presentation at Forum 95, an international conference for
technical communicators on 14.-15. November 95 in Dortmund, Germany.

Prototypes
----------

J) Define prototypes for practically everything you are going to
write. Offer them to the programmers, as they should use them for
the user interface too. Write a style guide for all writers in the
project. This is the only way to ensure that different parts of
the program will receive uniform help.

Help Interface
--------------

K) Discuss the complete technical interface between the technical
writers and the programmers. The most important part might be a
"header file" that contains a symbolic name for any help topic
used in a context-sensitive way. Define a standard description for
every such symbolic name or you will be lost in hundreds of
unspeakable names like HLP_MAIN_PUL_FILE_OPEN.

L) Define who will write the header files. Often, the programmers
will insist on writing header files themselves and that excludes
many hypertext authoring environments you might want to use.

M) Tell the programmers you will write another header file for
purposes internal to the help system. You need additional symbolic
names for your glossary and other topics that cannot be called
from the program. Your (OS/2 or Windows) help compiler needs
symbols for these topics. You will defenitely add topics to your
help system at the end of the design cycle, when the programmers
are forbidden to do anything but removing bugs: This is the first
time you really see any really finished window.

Any Suggestions or additions?

If you wish to receive the check list, send an empty message to
onlchecklist -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org

If you wish to join the Forum 95 mailing list, sent a message to
listserv -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org -dot- the message should contain one or more of the
following lines:

subscribe frum95-l
faq frum95-l
unsubscribe frum95-l