@, # -- Sheesh!

Subject: @, # -- Sheesh!
From: Karyl Severson <karyl -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:32:07 -0700

Dear Technical Writers -

After an absence from work of 1-1/2 days, I return to find about 1/2
of the 200+ mail messages in my email box concerning the deep meanings
of various symbols, such as # and @. Of course these symbols have
different meanings in the various contexts they are used. Isn't this
what we as technical writers do? Figure out the audience for whom
we are writing, and figure out which way(s) such symbols are used in
the writing for that audience?

I truly DO NOT UNDERSTAND why questions such as these dominate this
list. I do not understand how spending so much time on questions such
as these can further our quest for better ways to communicate technical
information effectively and efficiently.

Or, to paraphrase the Albert Einstein quotation below, "As far as the
laws of grammar refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far
as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

Sincerely,

Karyl
--

Karyl Severson