Re: Improving the clarity

Subject: Re: Improving the clarity
From: Pat Madea <madea -at- MMSI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 13:47:54 MST

>From: Karen_Mayer.TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY
>
> I have to say that an instruction like
>
> - To open a file, select File / Open from the main menu.
>
> is easier to read and follow than
>
> - To open a file, select Open from the File menu.
>
> I was going through the tutorial in the FrameMaker manual (looking at our
> demo version - YAY!), and the whole manual is written with the menu name
> last. This is really annoying, ....... <snip and deleted>......

Exactly, exactly, EXACTLY! I, too, find FM's manuals (I use FM4 for
Unix) extremely frustrating for just that reason. But, at least the
FM manual writer(s) were consistent in their structure, so I got into
the habit of going to the end of the sentence first and jumping around
from there.

madea // madea -at- mmsi -dot- com