Re: Mac or IBM? Who cares?

Subject: Re: Mac or IBM? Who cares?
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 10:35:00 PDT

<<Personally, we have both a high-end IBM compatible and a high-end Power
Macintosh at home. I would never even consider ever using the PC compatible
for anything involving writing, technical communication, or desktop
publishing. Then again, I cannot consider using the PC compatible for
anything. Once you use Mac, you'll never go back.>>

Puhleaze.
This religious war/emotional thread will never be settled to anyone's
satisfaction. Use what you want to use. Enjoy it, learn it, rip the cover
off and lose the screws. Break something and fix it. Load and unload files
until the hard drive fills up. But why take an informal survey here when you
can get published results? Dataquest and other services will tell you that
PCs are outselling Apple; they'll give you precise figures. The stock
market will tell you that Intel/Microsoft are on tremendous rolls due to
growth in the sale of PCs.

Still, Apple will never go away because it has a devoted, almost cult-like
following and does some things, including desktop publishing, very well. But
to say that the PC can't do a professional job producing Windows help files,
user's guides, or other documentation ignores the hundreds of writers out
there using a PC every day and somehow managing to win awards for their
work. To quote an old saying, "It ain't the hammer, it's the carpenter
swinging it."

Do we have to tweak the noses of each camp ad nauseam?

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com