What's In A Name?

Subject: What's In A Name?
From: Carma C Allen <ccallen -at- CCGATE -dot- DP -dot- BECKMAN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 11:34:48 -0800

In my hundred or so years in this business, the one constant has =
been that I=20
WRITE.=20

I have written manuals, checklists, brochures, data sheets, audio=
/visual =20
programs, films, videos, lesson plans and lessons, on-line help, read=
-me files,=20
user interface screen visuals, tutorials (both on-line and printed), =
and just=20
about every other form of "information transfer."=20

The written material has been transferred to other media=C4=C4som=
etimes by me,=20
sometimes by others=C4=C4but first I WROTE IT. The photographers, ill=
ustrators, film=20
crews, etc., have been technical communicators; the instructors using=
my lessons=20
and lesson plans have been technical communicators; the people record=
ing the=20
voice-overs have been technical communicators. They all communicate t=
echnical=20
information, but I WROTE IT.=20

Therefore, although I am indeed a technical communicator, informa=
tion=20
developer, etc., etc., etc., I am first and foremost a Technical Writ=
er.

Just thought I'd share that.

Carma
ccallen -at- ccgate -dot- dp -dot- beckman -dot- com

*Ronald Reagan was known as the "Great Communicator." I don't thi=
nk I want=20
to share that designation. =20