Tech writer survival. Was: AUTOMATIC REPLY

Subject: Tech writer survival. Was: AUTOMATIC REPLY
From: "Race, Paul D" <racepa -at- WHQPOS4B -dot- DAYTONOH -dot- ATTGIS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 07:53:40 -0600

Paul Race just got this interesting memo:

>From: Hilary Lane
>To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
>Subject: AUTOMATIC REPLY
>Date: Wednesday, August 16, 1995 12:18AM

>The user hilary no longer has an active account on bcn.
>The mail you sent will be received by hilary in the event that
>the account is re-activated. Another means of communication is advised.
>Important requests for more information on the hilary account can be sent
>to postmaster -at- bcn -dot-

Ooops. Another one bites the dust.

BTW, has it occurred to the rest of you that the most important part of
being a tech writer is not learning how to communicate effectively, but how
to SURVIVE in today's tumultuous business environment?

So, are issues like continuing education, career pathing, and networking AS
THEY APPLY TO TECHNICAL WRITERS off-topic here? Let's face it, the
textbooks on these subjects overlook generalists and English majors.

Please E-mail me, paul -dot- d -dot- race -at- daytonoh -dot- attgis -dot- com, not the list, to respond.