Fwd: RE: Fwd: Portfolio Advice

Subject: Fwd: RE: Fwd: Portfolio Advice
From: Stuart Reynolds <stuartr -at- FIRSTGRAPHICS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 09:05:45 -0800

-- [ From: Stuart Reynolds * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

My portfolio, such as it is, is kinda strange. I have 3-5 samples of about
5-10 pgs ea, and for each a brief 1 pgph description of what the problem was
that this doc solved, or some unusual situation and how this sample
resolved the problem or some such. eg, one sample is from a doc written
for a wide range of users: high school dropouts and college grads with
highly technical training in network management. 1 manual had to fit the
needs of both. My writing sample showed the rather neat way we handled
this. another one shows how we strucutred the info when some steps had
*long* explanations needed of background info, and we didn't want to
interrupt the flow of the procedure... that kind of thing.

The "portfolio" was one of those $0.79 card stock pocket-folders. The
writing samples I put in depended on what I thought the needs of the client
might be or a random sample showing versitility if I didn't have any faint
idea of what the potential clinet wanted.

It works for me - when I was contracting free lance, I always had more work
than I knew what to do with.

I'd argue against expensive printing and fancy colors, unless what you're
selling is your ability to work with fancy colors and expensive printing.
Most of my clients don't have the $ for that - they need something that is
more than their existing staff can produce (usu. they tried to do it in
house and mucked it up somehow), or it's a crunch and their regular
employees won't stand for the deadline, or whatever, but they need it fast
and they need it good, but they don't need it fancy.

-becca

--
Goin' down in flames...
But the colours are neat!!