Re: Salaries

Subject: Re: Salaries
From: Nora Merhar <MERHAR -at- ALENA -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 09:41:23 CDT

Gang,

Let's keep in mind that the STC salary survey is a self-selected group. It's
(as far as I understand it) the responses of a fairly small group of STC
members. Chances are good that their salaries tend to be on the higher side.
When I was a technical editor in Akron, OH, I couldn't afford to join the STC
every year. Now that I'm much better paid, I still balk at shelling out the
cash. So those who responded:

a) Had their companies pay for their memberships, or
b) are involved enough in the profession to not mind putting out the money
(and, to my mind, may therefore be a bit more dedicated to professional
improvement and possibly are being paid better because of it).

I was a bit upset when I looked at the salary survey myself, until I looked at
the median for my ZIP code (which includes Chicago and its suburbs). I'm
being paid somewhat under the median for my area--on the other hand, it's a
LOT more than I was getting in Akron, and I've only been here for 2.5 years
(and only been doing technical WRITING for that long--before, I was an editor
for 2 years). I also have great benefits.

OTOH, a friend of mine who works at a major company in Chicago is WAY underpaid.
Neither of us responded to the STC salary survey.

All that said, to Richard I would say: You should have been given the same
raise the developers received. From what you said, it also sounds like you're
the only TW. You are obviously not valued at that company. Get out.

Nora
merhar -at- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com