Re: Measuring Productivity

Subject: Re: Measuring Productivity
From: Sherrill Fink <sfink -at- RELAY -dot- NSWC -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 11:02:46 EDT

I forwarded Chet's thought-provoking comments about "Why does management
want to measure productivity?" to my husband, a computer programmer, who
has also raged about being judged by how many lines of code he produces.

Of course, since we work at a Navy installation, we are both subjected to
the Total Quality Leadership (TQL) fad that seeks to "measure" everything.
However, quantifying research and development is nearly impossible!

Anyway, Glenn wrote back with some good comments about leadership and
gave me permission to share them with the list.

Sherrill Fink
sfink -at- relay -dot- nswc -dot- navy -dot- mil