FW: Interviewing/getting info from SMEs

Subject: FW: Interviewing/getting info from SMEs
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 17:03:00 -0500

----------
From: Price, Becca
To: Delaney, Misti
Subject: RE: Interviewing/getting info from SMEs
Date: Tuesday, August 22, 1995 3:58PM

Usually I catch this stuff because I eat lunch with these folks, I eavesdrop
a lot, and I am just plain nosy. I can't count on all the new folks being as
obnoxious as I am, so I would like to have some sort of framework in place.
One of the new folks seems frankly astonished that the developers don't
notify us each time they make a change that affects the documentation; he
also seems to think that we should be able to get stuff from the developers
(written stuff, not actual software) that spells most of this stuff out.

How do you do this?

I eat lunch with these folks, I eavesdrop a lot, and I am just plain nosy,
that's how.

seriously, most of the stuff I learn about the program I'm documenting comes
from interviewing the SMEs and then listening to gossip... I also hang out
with the people who are beta testing the stuff, but that only works when
it's being tested in house.

-becca