Re. Hold that resume?

Subject: Re. Hold that resume?
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 12:58:48 LCL

Richard Anderson wrote to express his anger at feeling devalued by a
manager who offered the developers a raise, but ignored him. There
have been a few suggestions that he jump ship ASAP, but in similar
situations, you should always ask yourself two questions before firing
up the laser printer:

1. Are rival companies doing any headhunting? Managers occasionally
have to take defensive measures to avoid the disastrous situation of
losing a key developer. If no one's hiring tech. writers in your area,
they're less afraid (_not_ unafraid) of losing you. Also, beware:
you'll need references to get a new job, and this could undermine your
position at your current company if they get the impression you're
planning on leaving.

2. Are you basically happy at your current position, and making a
decent (if not exceptional) wage? If you are, seriously rethink how
important a few extra dollars are. I've twice taken jobs that
initially paid less than a current job, but that offered great working
environments, a longer career path or new challenges. ("Complacency is
the evil twin of experience."-- G. Hart and Jan Michaelsen) Most
recently, I combined this with being able to move back to Montreal to
rejoin my family and old friends, while brushing up on my French. It
took up to two years to recover the $$$ that I lost, but the improved
environment and/or new challenges made it worthwhile. Few people get
to have jobs they truly enjoy, and if you're one of them, cherish it.

A third point to ponder: Don't forget, the STC salary survey doesn't
index the salaries to account for your cost of living. You might be
paid less than those techwhirlers who work in New York city, but
you're probably banking considerably more of your smaller paycheque.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be hurt by being overlooked for a raise,
but try to work your way past that response to see if your work
situation remains desirable.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.