HYPERMEDIA: your initial experiences

Subject: HYPERMEDIA: your initial experiences
From: Peggy Thomson <Peggy_Thompson -at- CCMAIL -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 11:26:00 -0400

When I asked you about your initial experiences with hypermedia,
most of you referred me to a couple of books designed to aid the
writer of hypermedia:

1. Designing and Writing Online Documentation: Hypermedia for
Self-Supporting Projects, William Horton, John Wiley and Sons,
1994, 440 pgs, softcover $29.95 [very practical and thorough; I
heartily recommend]

2. Mapping Hypertext: Analysis, Linkage, and Display of
Knowledge for the Next Generation of Online Text and Graphics,
Robert Horn, 1989, Information Mapping Inc. (1-617-890-7003),
289 pgs, softcover $40 [more theory than practice--you have to
pay bucks for training in the method--but Horn and Information
Mapping (a registered trademark, by the way) are big buzzwords
in hypermedia]

For the quaking novice (like me), I found the following
excellent and morale-boosting STC conference proceeding:

"Reflections of a Novice Hypertext Author," James V. Myers, STC
East Tennessee chapter 16th annual Practical Conference on
Communication, Nov. 5-6, 1992