Re: Value-added Reseller Docs

Subject: Re: Value-added Reseller Docs
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 00:06:02 -0400

Think of the VAR as an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) and your
product as a component he is using to make his product. Your
documentation should address his issues for integrating your product into
his. His primary interests are: installation, basic usage, and
maintenance/trouble-shooting. He may also need a separate document to
supply to his customer on how to use that feature of his product that
your product implements. That document may be stand-alone or might be
integrated into his user documentation. Also, consider the level of
technical expertise of the reader/user of these documents, "your
experience will vary."
-------------------

On Mon, 31 Jul 1995, Tami Goodall wrote:

> I am tasked with helping to create (along with sales and training) some
> documentation for value-added resellers (VARs). Does anyone out there have
> any experience creating these kinds of docs? If so, can you tell me the
> scope of such a beast.

> I've looked at some material from Microsoft which focuses on how to sell and
> maintain a framis, but not necessarily how to use the framis.

> This approach won't work for my products...I need to teach the VAR how to
> use the thing too (train the trainer).

> Tami Goodall
> Technical Publications Manager
> Digital Systems International, Inc.
> Redmond, WA
> (206) 881-7544
> tamig -at- dsinet -dot- dgtl -dot- com

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
Ph/Fax: 508-921-8908 18 School Street
Internet: dazlin -at- shore -dot- net Beverly, MA 01915-4851