Re. Computer phobia

Subject: Re. Computer phobia
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 13:22:09 LCL

There are a few "biggies" I've observed that may be causes of computer
phobia for some people. These are they, with possible solutions:

1. "I'm not smart enough to learn something this complicated." Avoid
any of the indications of complexity. For ex., don't explain what a
hard disk is and how it works, but rather say that the "save" function
stores the file so you can work on it again later. Teach about hard
disks once the person is familiar with and comfortable with "saving".
Another thing that works well is helping the person understand that if
they can complete a Ph.D. and defend it against a hostile thesis
committee (or similarly difficult achievement), they can certainly
master something as simple as a computer.

2. "What if it doesn't want to do what I want it to?" Turn it off. I
once earned someone's undying gratitude by resolving an intractable
problem with a photocopier we had nicknamed "the antiChrist" because
of its attitude towards anyone with a tight deadline. I stepped in,
turned off the copier, and rebooted it, and provided the quotable
quote "Don't forget, it may be smarter than we are, but we can always
turn it off." (Note: A cup of coffee, waved near the beast's
vulnerable electronics with a muttered threat, also guaranteed the
problems would disappear. Talk about yer ghosts in the machine!)

3. "Pace of change is too fast." Everyone resists change to some
extent, but can learn to embrace it to a sufficient degree that they
can cope. Find out why that person fears change and you can address
the root of the problem. One common cause is "so much to learn, so
little time", and the solution is to simplify what the person has to
learn, concentrating on the fundamentals.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.