saftey icons & ANSI Z535

Subject: saftey icons & ANSI Z535
From: elizabeth_huth -at- GILBARCO -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:53:47 EST

I'm posting for a co-worker who is not on the list, but whom I've been sending
posts from the safety icon thread. She is our safety person.

The ANSI Z535 committee was in development around 1987 timeframe and some of the
committee members I've run into have some serious manufacturing/public safety/
educational backgrounds. The University of Wisconson offers a course in the
development process for safety information which is excellent! I highly
recommend it.

The company I work for has adopted the Z535 standard and we have used it as a
guideline to create icons for public recognition on our products. (I think a
wise idea.) As a result, several lawsuits have been put to rest.

Also, there's a good book you can purchase ($?) "Product Safety Sign and Label
System" created by:
FMC Corporation
P.O. Box 580
Santa Clara, CA 95052

It contains:
y color swatches for matching the correct printed color on whatever material
it's printed on (sheetmetal, painted surface, glossy paper, etc.)
y dimensional diagrams for creating "body parts". (Good for the draftsperson
types.)
y and it has the same label design and content information as in Z535 documents.
(This person was on the original committe.)

To the documentation novice (lawyers!), this whole process doesn't look too
diffucult on the surface. But I've found out, (good and bad experience) it can
get pretty deep.

Elizabeth Huth

elizabeth_huth -at- gilbarco -dot- com