Tools questions

Subject: Tools questions
From: Suzanne Pyle <Crow101156 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 13:22:05 -0400

Rex W replied:

Hi Suzanne:

Windows NT is a more robust and secure operating system than Windows '95.
The underlying system of each is different, however, so the two are not
compatible. Don't expect to buy a software package for Win '95 and have it
run on NT.

Because NT is so flexible, it can support different interfaces. There's the
native NT interface, and Micosoft has released a Win '95 interface for NT.
But understand: just because the interface looks and feels like Win '95, it
still doesn't make the underlying system architecture the same. If your
clients are running Win '95, and you need to run the same apps they're
running, or if you write any programs that you want them to use, you need to
run Win '95 also.

FrameMaker 5 is the latest version. It should be available from any major
software vendor. FrameViewer is an online viewer for Frame documents.
FrameMaker shares many features with PageMaker and Quark, but its method of
using those features can be different (sometimes VERY different). You'll
understand what the product does easily enough, but it may take you awhile
to become familiar with how it does things.

-- Rex
rungericht -at- nielsen -dot- com

**********
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 19:19:03 -0400
From: Suzanne Pyle <Crow101156 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Subject: Re: subscribe to list

Hi I have a tools question and would love to get your feedback on 1 or 2 of
the
following:

1. Windows 95 : I've heard some people are waiting to see how it will
perform; and others are sticking to what they know with Windows 3.11 and
still others are proposing Windows NT. Mmmm. Is Nt and 95 the same, or have
similarities? And if you're a contractor like myself, do you find yourself
considering your interface capabilities if you select one over the other? I
personally am leaning toward Windows NT because it has been around a while
and does perform well, however am wondering if this will interfere with
being compatible with clients.

---thanks Rex W for replying --you've been very helpful and it is info like
this
that I need to make a decision on buying Win 95 or NT. Another replier
actually
thought it a pain to read my email because I was asking "too many questions".

Incredible.

- Suzanne