Re: Reading levels?

Subject: Re: Reading levels?
From: "Kahn, Stacey" <skahn -at- WB -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 13:07:03 U

Brett Lee (leex0096 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU) writes:
> Does anyone know of a resource (book or software) that defines the
> reading level required to understand certain words (i.e. enable,
> disable, program, configure)?

Check out some of the grammar software-- Right Write (Right Writer?),
Grammitik, and so on.

While these packages don't specifically provide word-by-word grade levels, they
do evaluate overall readability levels-- for a selected section or for an
entire document.

Because a lot of the overall readability derives from sentence structure and
length, layout, and so on, using one of these packages to experiment with text
samples these may give you a better idea of what is, and what isn't, within
your specific readability goals.

FWIW.

Stacey Kahn Washington, D.C.
SKahn -at- wb -dot- com
speaking for myself and not for my employers