Re: PC Phobia info...

Subject: Re: PC Phobia info...
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:08:46 MST

Will Kelly (will -at- QNET -dot- COM) wrote-->
> I have been following this thread on PC Phobia with great interest. I work
> with a technical writer who is *very* computer phobic. Yes, that's right I
> said a computer-phobic technical writer. Does anybody have any advice on how
> to deal with this kind of writer? She is a big resource hog in an
organization
> with not a lot of resources to begin with.
========
What do you mean by "resource hog"? If she takes longer than
expected to complete an assignment on a computer, maybe it is
because she hasn't been sufficiently trained.

Insufficient training on the software tools we need to do our
jobs, combined with an initial PC phobia, would be just about
unbearable. If it were me, I'd be afraid that every keystroke
could cause potential doom! Therefore, I'd do my work *very
slowly and cautiously.*

Someone suggested combatting PC phobia by introducing the person
to a PC game, such as solitaire. This works! It's
non-threatening (also unproductive, but you have to start
somewhere), and provides a quick way for someone to become
comfortable with using a mouse, launching programs, saving work
(games in progress), navigating menus, etc.

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=