Single-Sourcing Online and Hard Copy

Subject: Single-Sourcing Online and Hard Copy
From: John Russell <johnr -at- BRS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 09:27:52 EDT

Ok Ok, Old question.

Has anyone out there successfully single-sourced documentation for Windows
online help *and* a hard copy user's guide?

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I am in the process
of reverse engineering a help file in order to create a hard copy user's
guide. When the help file was being written, I recommended that it be
created the same way a manual would be written (in other words, don't break
up the help file based on the menu selections, but rather by feature, etc.).

Another (several actually) Windows help project is in the works and I'm
trying to plan for the online help and the hard copy manual to be single-
sourced.

If you have single-sourced Windows online help and hard copy manual (with
or without success), please respond to me and give me your success (or
horror) story.

TIA
--

kjr
johnr -at- brs -dot- com

|/ K. John Russell \| Anagram of the year:
| Dataware Technologies, Inc. |
| 5 Computer Drive South | Information Superhighway
|\ Albany, New York 12205 /| New utopia? Horrifying Sham!