Re. Jargon, neologisms and misused words

Subject: Re. Jargon, neologisms and misused words
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 12:12:28 LCL

Some of the computer phobia discussion has created
a new thread on terminology, and indeed, choice of
terminology has some interesting applications to
this thread. Here's a related topic that bears
further discussion:

1. It's not necessarily a bad idea to create
neologisms when the alternative is to use long
descriptive passages. The example that sticks in
my mind (sorry, forgot the poster's name) was the
new word "mouse" to replace "pointing device" or
worse yet "vaguely ovoid rolling device with
multiple buttons on which to click" <grin>

2. It's generally a bad idea to use a word with a
broadly accepted meaning in a wholly new sense.
The example we've been debating was "displays",
but there other examples abound (e.g., witness our
"shrink wrap" thread a while back).

3. Words that become jargon seems to be broadly
acceptable in the first case, because they don't
confuse our audience, even if they might require a
little learning; poor or dangerous jargon arises
in the second case.

Opinions?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.