PageMaker v. Word

Subject: PageMaker v. Word
From: Patty Ewy <pewy -at- ICONTROL -dot- ANZA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 15:19:53 -0600

My supervisor asked today that we re-evaluate our tool (PageMaker) and
consider other tools (Word).

Until recently, I've been the sole tech writer in this software development
company. Besides "real" tech writing, I've been responsible for creating
marketing materials (brochures, etc.). I've been doing all this with
PageMaker, creating the graphics files as needed in PhotoShop and
Illustrator. I didn't have any input into the decisions to go with these
tools, but now that I've been using them for 18 months I feel comfortable
with them. I have also spent a lot of time creating templates that I use
for manual chapters, tutorial chapters, tech bulletins.

Has anyone out there worked with PageMaker AND Word, so I can get a good
comparison of the features (AND problems) encountered with each? One of
my key concerns is working with graphics in Word. I have a screen dump on
nearly every page of my manuals, and the format that we've been using to
this point has the graphic enclosed in a box, with lots of short paragraphs
of information about it-also enclosed in boxes. (Yup: boxes in boxes. Can
drive you loony, but the boss likes it.)

What about long documents? Indexing and tables of contents? How does
color work with Word?

What about maintaining security for your files? I confess that one of the
reasons I like PageMaker is that not everyone can access the files (because
not everyone has one of those spendy PageMaker license packs!)

More generally, I'd also like to know about the hurdles any of you have
faced in switching tools. I get nauseated just *thinking* about having to
recreate so many templates. (And, we're about 80% through a major major
project...)

Thanks for anything you can provide!

Patty Ewy
pewy -at- icontrol -dot- anza -dot- com