Re: PageMaker v. Word.. that's like apples vs oranges

Subject: Re: PageMaker v. Word.. that's like apples vs oranges
From: Stuart Reynolds <stuartr -at- FIRSTGRAPHICS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 05:53:34 -0800

-- [ From: Stuart Reynolds * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Hi Patty...

> Has anyone out there worked with PageMaker AND Word, so I can get a good
> comparison of the features (AND problems) encountered with each? One of
my

> What about long documents? Indexing and tables of contents? How does
color
> work with Word?
I use both Word and Pagemaker together. Pagemaker isn't a WP app. I do the
WP in word and then import to PM. Graphics I do in Corel draw/photopaint
and Photostyler. Then import and place/link the files. It makes for much
easier editing as you use the right "tool" to edit a specific piece. I
inherited a job last year.. that was started in PM (a manual).. It can
create headaches. It also limits the "portability" of the document. <voice
of experience=on> If you are sick and someone else has to edit it, the might
know word inside-out but not PM and can then really screw things up for you.
<voice of experience=off>. I STILL have not had any problems with Word
handling _long_ documents. I do, on the otherhand, not create a manual as a
single doc, but split it into chapters. Then import them into a "book list"
in PM. This also makes editing easier, as you don't have to pull up one
humongous doc to edit a subparagraph of a buried subheading. You can either
pull up word and edit the original or edit the "story" as it is in pagemaker
. "not recommended". I don't put any of the graphics into word either..
just place a box in the doc as a placement tag.

Stui
--
stuartr -at- firstgraphics -dot- com