Re: what do you call it when your computer stops?

Subject: Re: what do you call it when your computer stops?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 18:24:45 -0700

Solveig Haugland wonders...

> Several terms are used to describe what happens when your computer just won't
> do anything--it's frozen, it locks up, it's hung, and so on. Has anyone found
> dignified, yet clear term to describe this? We've tentatively gone with "if
> your computer stops processing" but it doesn't feel good.

> This, of course, is to be distinguished from when one is "kicked out" of an
> application--when it quits unexpectedly.

Well, computer *programs* stop responding to the system.

I suppose that the computer itself can (and often does)
*stop responding*. This is different from "stops processing",
which it would probably do if it were just sitting idle.

And its failure to respond would, again, be quite different
from an actual *crash*, at which point I would simply state,
"It's dead, Jim." ;-)

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com