Flowchart Tools for UNIX based FrameMaker

Subject: Flowchart Tools for UNIX based FrameMaker
From: George Howell <georgeh -at- PROC -dot- IN -dot- OTC -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 07:32:33 GMT

Does anyone know of a flowchart tool which can produce flowcharts for use in
FrameMaker 4, and probably, later, FrameMaker 5, running on a UNIX system using
a Sun SS2 machine running SunOS 4.1.3_U1.

We tried several PC/MS Windows tools. These all had the problem of conversion
through several graphics types and difficulty of maintaining the required
resolution.

ABC Flowcharter was the easiest to use but only exports WMF files. These could
be converted and incorporated into the documents through a MS Windows version
of FrameMaker and the files saved and and re-opened with the UNIX version,
however multiple conversions through a variety of graphics file types were
necessary to maintain the quality in the final form. When a change was required
a flowchart, the whole process had to be repeated.

We finally decided to compromise and use the native FrameMaker graphics tool.
The
quality is good, obviously. As it is a general purpose drawing tool and not
specifically a flowchart tool, it is consequently, not very efficient
for that task.
This problem is compounded by the size of the flowcharts we produce. Some of
them are around 30 pages in size. The FrameMaker drawing tool does not have the
page wrap feature that most flowchart tools have as standard. Each FrameMaker
produced flowchart is separate page entity. This makes adding to multi-page
flowcharts a difficult problem.

We need a flowchart tool with all the normal flowchart features, which produces
graphics files that can be used directly in our version of FameMaker, without
the
need for conversion.

Can anyone suggest anything which might help?

George Howell.