Re: Why a Table of Figures?

Subject: Re: Why a Table of Figures?
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 15:49:23 -0600

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Stuart Burnfield wrote:

> Is a Table of Figures necessary?

> If I left out the Table of Figures, would the reader be worse off? Does
> it matter what the figures are? all screen dumps? all diagrams? some of
> each?

It seems to me that this would be a judment call. I've seen lots of
excellent manuals published without the Table of Figures--and never
missed it. I've always heard that the Table should be included when
there are more than five figures, plates, diagrams, etc., especially when
they occupy a full page. However, it is questionable as to whether
such a Table is really needed.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu