Re: bogus resume req.

Subject: Re: bogus resume req.
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 17:11:00 PDT

Jan writes,

<<Excuse me? A high G.P.A and S.A.T. score indicate that people don't "fib"
or pad their portfolios? Only people with low or middle-level .G.P.A.'s
and S.A.T. scores do? An HR person could get into big trouble for
insinuating
that he/she can't be sure a portfolio or recommendation is "accurate"
because
the applicant's stats are below what is considered "high.">>

Whoa. So much for trying to dampen the flames.

My point may have been missed here. What I tried to convey was that when you
check with a college or university, or the SAT folks, they give you their
number that matches the applicant's social security number. To me, that
makes it pretty reliable. If it matches what the applicant reported, so much
the better. Whereas with a recommendation or a portfolio, there is a little
more data uncertainty.

For example, I have an award from my journalism days that I list on my
resume, but the fact is, the editor took my raw copy into his strong hands
and molded into his own image. With my byline. And I once got a phone call
from a friend who had been contacted by a prospective employer concerning a
recommendation. He asked me if I wanted him to give out the $10
recommendation or the $20 recommendation. That's all I meant about 'data
uncertainty.'

BTW, Jan, don't get the idea that I heartily endorse requiring high SATs and
GPAs. I don't. All I was pointing out was before we man the barricades and
form a boycott, consider what is at stake -- try to see the other side.
Really, this all points up an opportunity for yet another plug for becoming
active in your local STC chapter -- if you're networking, you probably
already know a lot about any local writers that might be interested in your
current opening.

Garret
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com

"I didn't know there were others that didn't surrender."
"I didn't surrender neither. But they made my mule surrender.
He's probably up in Kansas, hauling a wagon."

-- The Outlaw Josie Wales