Re. Table of contents for figures/tables

Subject: Re. Table of contents for figures/tables
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:12:34 LCL

I don't remember ever having used a table of
figures or tables to find anything... being a
decidedly text-based life form, I've always found
the subject or topic that was appropriate in a
table of contents or index, flipped to that
section, and skimmed the section until the figure
or table jumped out at me. Nonetheless, I've met
enough folks (economists particularly) who really
like these tables of contents that I consider them
a good idea.

But here's a problem: how do you index figures
that have no formal captions without going back
and adding (often unnecessary) titles to each
figure? Best I can come up with is a visual index:
provide a thumbnail sketch of each figure on the
pages following the text table of contents. Any
better suggestions?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one
of our reports, it don't represent FERIC's
opinion.