Definition -- Joint Application Design

Subject: Definition -- Joint Application Design
From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 20:57:06 -0400

Does anybody know what it is?

_________A friend of mine writes:_______________________

I'm looking for a good definition of JAD (joint application design)

As far as I know:

to applicate--> is to make several uses of the same basic anything (same
program lines, same hardware parts)

joint application design--> there are two main possibilities:
I. to design different parts of a product, using the same basic
application at the same time by networking (joint design),
II. to design several products by using the same application at the same
time by networking (joint design)

Networking is necessary because by jointly developing something the
development time will be shorter. Because the guys using the same
application (though for different purposes) they can solve together
(jointly) problems aroused during the development time.

One of the best known examples for this is when developers working
together throughout local area networks (LANs) where CAD users are
linked up together.

--> JRP (joint requirements planning)

somebody already wrote the answer:
--> my guess is that JRP is an implementation of the old inventory
control technique known as MRP (Material Requirements Planning), which
nowadays, has evolved into a planning and scheduling system known as MRP
II (Manufacturing Resource Planning).

-->Perhaps the reason they use the word "joint" is because JRP might
encompass more company functions (Finance, Sales, Engineering, etc.)
than the original MRP technique.