Writing & Marketing

Subject: Writing & Marketing
From: Connie Winch <CEW -at- MACOLA -dot- USA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 14:20:00 LCL

Amy E. Wineburgh {aewinebu -at- MAILBOX -dot- SYR -dot- EDU} wrote:

At what point does writing become marketing? How does one define this?
I am currently beginning my job search and I am becoming quite confused
in teh whole matter. I am a psychology major, with a minor in marketing,
and with a great interest in writing. I plan to enter the world of
marketing hopefully this May, but in what respect I am unsure. Anyone
with an opinion about where the boundaries of marketing end (and if they
do) and writing begins, would be of great help to me. In addition to my
job search, I am working on a technical writing project for a class and
this information may greatly enhance my work and the focus I take to it.

Amy,

As I see it, marketing is an end; writing is a means. In other
words, writing is one tool marketers use to accomplish their
goal of marketing a product or a service. Marketers can and
do use other tools to accomplish that goal. Writing is also
a tool that can be used to achieve many other goals.

Nothing should stop you from pursuing a career in marketing
that would include writing responsibilities.

Connie E. Winch
Technical Writer
Macola, Inc.
cew -at- macola -dot- usa -dot- com