Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 07:05:57 PDT

>I'd like to hear about software you telecommuters use to telecommute.
>I mostly use pcAnywhere to transfer files by modem, because that's
>what my clients have. With this software, I can dial into my
>client's network and access files as if I were in the office,
>although I don't usually work in applications remotely because it
>ties up the phone line and can crash the software. pcAnywhere works
>OK for the most part, but I have had problems from time to time.
>What's your experience?

I'm now telecommuting from a farmhouse in Blodgett, Oregon (a
town where the gas station, the shopping center, and the post
office are all represented by a single building: a country store
with the post office in the corner).

I found (not to my surprise) that having two phone lines is essential.
While some rural areas are in the Dark Ages, I have three pairs of
phone wires running to my house, and only need two of them right
now, for my two phone lines.

Technologically, my computer umbilical to WEITEK, where I'm working
part-time, is a network "box" -- a Telebit PN-1 box. This is
a device with a network connection on one end and a telephone
connection on the other. It dials up remote sites when you try
to send network packets to them, and works with both IPX (Novell),
and TCP/IP (real network) protocols.

So, in practice, my motley collection of hardware (a DOS PC and a
UNIX workstation) can talk to WEITEK's entire network of PC's,
workstations, printers, and what have you.

I far prefer stand-alone hardware (external modems, stand-alone
network boxes, stand-alone fax machines) to their internal
counterparts. My PC is the least reliable machine I own, what
with dueling TSR's and all, and I don't like to do anything
with it that demands high availability.

-- Robert