Re: Portfolio q's & Resumes: another aspect

Subject: Re: Portfolio q's & Resumes: another aspect
From: Cathy Quinones <quinones -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 03:44:10 GMT

In message <9509201506 -dot- aa13821 -at- rogue -dot- rogue -dot- discorp -dot- com> - "Dave L. Meek's
User Account" <dave -at- rogue -dot- discorp -dot- com> writes:
:>
:> Bev Parks sent the following:
:>
:> Dave Meek wrote-->
:> And definitely
:> bring as many writing samples as you can that show your strengths
:> as a writer. If your interviewer(s) ask for more, you're
:> covered. If your interviewer(s) doesn't ask for more, then you
:> keep your samples in your portfolio. Another advantage of
:> bringing more samples than you probably need is that you will
:> probably cover a broader range of subjects.
:>Again, it depends on what strengths you're trying to display.
:>Are you highly productive? Maybe entire documents would support
:>that. Are you concise? Maybe sections or chapters would support
:>that. There are at least two questions you'll need to answer:
:>What does the prospective employer want to see, and what
:>strengths do you want to highlight.

Ok guys, what about those of us that have never had a tech writing job and
are trying to break into this discipline?

I mean, most job ads DO ask for previous job experience. I know one can
phrase other life experiences (e.g., teaching) so that they are showcased as
the skills they are but, how exactly does the newbie compete with the
established pros? I am talking about entry-level positions here, and job
advancement soon thereafter.

If YOU were just getting started, how would you go about presenting
yourself as the potentially disciplined, prepared employee you know you can
be? Do you go volunteer to local businesses and create documents for them,
then use those as samples? Or do you just fake them?

My question is pretty self-serving: I hope to be entering the job
market in the next few months. I took the tech writing specialization
program in my undergrad college, then went to grad school and that's where I
am now... writing a disgusting document known as a thesis :) When I enter
the job market I understand that my lack of experience will hurt me but, on
the other hand, I truly am NOT the same person I was when I graduated from
college, I have added skills and knowledge. I guess the question is: how do
I put that postgraduate degree to work for me in lieu of actual
experience?

Other than writing a good query and resume :) what do I do to stand out and
make my academic background count? I am reasonable enough to know that
there's plenty of people without PhD's that are established in the field,
have vast experience, and SHOULD be offered the position (instead of me, for
example) simply because they have already demonstrated they can do this kind
of job. How do I go about becoming THEM?!

Clues most welcome!

Cathy Quinones Poicephalus rule!!
quinones -at- mindspring -dot- com %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
http://www.mindspring.com/~mintz/coverpg.html = Bird Care Info