Re: Request for help: classifying & presenting online documents

Subject: Re: Request for help: classifying & presenting online documents
From: SANDRA CHARKER <scharker -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 11:50:58 +1000

Judith Grobe Sachs, a.k.a. "document", asked about classifying online
documents. This is an issue many tech writers are going to be confronting more
and more, especially if we can break away from thinking of online info as
online books or online help, and have to manage complex classifications of
relatively small information modules.

To deal with that, and with your immediate problem Judith, we need librarians
and indexers. Their training draws on centuries of experience in classifying,
organising, and retrieving information. True, there's plenty that's new about
online information, but when it comes to classifying it library sciences are
the best places to start.

IMO, of course.