Number of Projects

Subject: Number of Projects
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 08:52:00 LCL

Hello Gordon,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von G J Lundy an All am 21.09.95

GJ> Part of the difficulty of these side-by-side projects is that
GJ> available resources (e.g., other
GJ> technical writer and editor) are being assigned to projects
GJ> that do not allow them to be used as
GJ> supplemental help.

Quite typical: Documentation is considered an afterthought only.

GJ> The company will not hire contractors, and
GJ> none of the management level
GJ> people are intimately familiar with the problems of developing
GJ> and writing documentation.

Let's guess: You had no chance to tell them anything about the importance of
documentation. "It can't be such a big deal to write a few pages - everyone
learns that at school!"

GJ> The
GJ> other problem relates to the fact that we have over the past
GJ> year moved into a product-driven
GJ> scheduling, but many of the finer points... such as technical
GJ> documentation, are still not included
GJ> along with project teams, or information listings.

Documentation *is* one of those parts of the developement cycle that suffer
most. Luckily, I'm a free-lancer. If a customer would try to treat me like
your employer treats you, I would prefer not to have such a customer...

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander