Re: e-mail / social skills thank you

Subject: Re: e-mail / social skills thank you
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 07:11:16 -0700

Re your quest for suggestions on effective email:

- Put your question or thesis up top. If I don't know what you want or what
you're talking about in the first paragraph, I'll probably skip it.

- I definitely won't go to a second screen to find out what you have to say.
Therefore, if your response follows the re-post, I'll never get to it.

- If you want a personal response, put my name in the subject line; with 100
and more messages per day, I have to sift and winnow until I have time to play.
Sometimes that's days later (I like this list, but I have to work first,
drat.)

- I don't want to see your personal postings. (Why in the world do I receive
mail that begins, "Steve, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner ...."?)

Re your no. 2, email has made me a better think-on-my-feet writer. Way back
when I began, I was horrified sometimes to see how what I had written sounded
in the cold of another day. The lessons continue.

jb

--
Jan Boomsliter
408/428-5428