E-mail / social skills

Subject: E-mail / social skills
From: Kim Fawcett <kfawcett -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 14:21:00 DST

I've found this discussion very interesting. I'm personally an e-mail
convert, but I know there are people out there who aren't. Maybe I
don't agree with their reasons, but at least now I understand them better.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my own top reason for being an e-mail
fan. I'm the youngest member of my company's tech pubs
department (by at least 10 years -- I'm 23). What's worse, I *look*
even younger. I've been mistaken for a high school co-op on two or
three occasions (a terrible experience, I assure you). I find that when
I go to deal with engineers for the first time, I'm often not taken
seriously. This isn't a problem with people I work with regularly, but
whenever I start a new project, I basically have to prove myself all
over again.

E-mail helps here, simply because there's no personal contact.
People have to judge me on the content of what I write, not by how
I look. Eventually the time comes when I have to meet people f2f,
but at least they already have an impression of me, and this can
counter any bias caused by my apparent age.

E-mail breaks down many of the barriers caused by age, sex, race,
etc. -- not to mention time and distance. I consider this to be its best
quality.

- Kim Fawcett
(kfawcett -at- dy4 -dot- com)

***
The above opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the policies of
my company.