going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer...

Subject: going into the local bar and saying you're a tech writer...
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:00:40 EDT

I did that once on Block Island, RI. The guy sitting next to me at the bar asked
me what I did--"technical writing" I said--then he asked where.

"At [name withheld] in New York."

He immediately grabbed me around the neck and started choking me (a mock attack,
of course).

"Why are you doing this?" I coughed out.

"MY ENTIRE BUSINESS runs on your software and I can't get this to work and that
to work and the other to work--"

We became friends, more or less, and stayed in touch for awhile afterwards. So,
it is possible to be accepted as a tech writer in a bar, but the process may
not always be, well, easy....

--Susan Fowler
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com