Re: Restricting Access to TECHWR-L

Subject: Re: Restricting Access to TECHWR-L
From: John Bell <jbell -at- LCCINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 12:48:57 -0400

I've heard some good arguments both for and against anonymous postings.
I think that in some cases anonymous posts can serve a very useful
purpose. Many newspapers allow "anonymous" letters to the editors. The
key is the poster is anonymous to the public, but not to the editor.

I think we need a new ability added to the mail list server. Let the
list owner be the judge to requests for anonymous "accounts". If I
felt the strong need to post anonymously I would then petition Eric
and if he agreed he would grant me the title of "anonymous 1" or
whatever. Mail sent to "anonymous 1" could be forwarded to my real
account. All other anonymous posts could then be filtered out. Only
the sanctioned ones would get on the list.

I think the need for anonymous posts would be few, but the need is there
and this method might solve it neatly.

Lacking this feature (org! Creeping featurism!) I second the motion
of asking a friend to post (and forward) messages for you. This
accomplishes the goal of preserving your anonymity. (As long as
your friend keeps quiet!) However it does drag a third party (your friend)
into the mess, which may backfire.

--- John Bell
jbell -at- lccinc -dot- com