Re: Frame to Word

Subject: Re: Frame to Word
From: "Mutton, Sara" <s -dot- mutton -at- TECHSMITH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 12:23:03 -0600

I wouldn't want to see you try to put a Frame document into an RTF in order
to hand it over to an OEM. Frame documents, without the Frame, look dis
organized and sketchy, since an saving as an RTF will remove most of the
important formating.

I love Frame because it makes it easier to manage putting together tables,
references and indices, but I wouldn't want to see you switch to it if it
meant
you couldn't hand over a well-formatted document to your customers.

We are able to use Frame because we plan on handing our documents over to
our OEMS as Acrobat files, and Frame allows a transparent conversion of
formatting and Acrobat uses Frame's tables and indices as bookmarks.

Sara
----------
From: Cathy McNair
To: Multiple recipients of list TEC
Subject: Frame to Word
Date: Friday, October 06, 1995 11:22AM

Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 10:22:09 -0400
Sender: "Technical Writers List; for all Technical Communication issues"

From: Cathy McNair <cmcnair -at- SPICER -dot- COM>
Comments: To: TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu>

Because of the strong support for Frame on this list, I've been looking into
it for our company. We're currently using Word 6.0. I can see lots of
reasons why we might want to switch to Frame, but I can also think of one
strong argument against it: We hand electronic copies of our documents over
to a lot of resellers who take the information and customize it for their
use. Those people all seem to use Word. If we switch to Frame, does that
make it close to impossible for people using Word to make use of our files?
Or is there some way to export Frame to Word format, perhaps by using RTF as
a filter?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cathy McNair
<cmcnair -at- spicer -dot- com>