Re: What's "World Class?"

Subject: Re: What's "World Class?"
From: Geoff Bradbury <bradg -at- INTEXT -dot- CPSG -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:20:02 +1000

At 07:29 18/10/95 EST, you wrote:
>A client called us the other day with an unusual question. His company is
>undergoing the rigors of global expansion, and each department therein is
>being asked for its own definition of what it means to be "World Class." Our
>contact, the only tech writer in the company, wanted our opinion of what it
>meant to produce world class documentation. Anybody out there care to take a
>cut at this? We'll pass the comments along to the client, and if there's
>enough interest, we'll assemble the comments into a list, too.

[...snip...]
At 9:05 19/10/95, I wrote:

Interesting question.

I checked my dictionary (The Macquarie Encyclopedic Dictionary, 1990)...

"world-class, adj. sufficiently good to be acceptable anywhere in the world."

A minor problem. On the one hand the above definition holds true only if the
documentation is translated into many languages -- a sizable percentage of
the world's population doesn't understand english. On the other, is it safe
to assume the company's global audience understand english?
Geoff Bradbury - Technical Writer for InTEXT Systems
"Makers of extraordinarily fine text storage and retrieval software"

Come visit us at http://www.intext.com/

My writings reflect _my_ views.

- Douglas Adams