Re: Computer documentation for the left-handed? (long)

Subject: Re: Computer documentation for the left-handed? (long)
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 19:08:15 MST

Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM> wrote-->

> From a machine design point of view, since many people have trouble
> identifying left and right quickly and accurately, it would be best
> to design controls so that there's some other way to identify them
> besides left/right position. A simple label is all that's required.

> For example, take a computer mouse. Virtually all have identical,
> unlabled buttons. Instead, they should be prominently numbered,
> colored, or given stupid icons so they can be identified by something
> other than left/right.
=====
I'm also left-handed and have used a mouse with both hands. I
currently use my right hand--and I do find that easier--but
using my left hand never posed any problems.

I can remember when a mainframe programming team I worked on
got their first PCs. It wasn't all that long ago, about 1988. A
right-handed coworker, who had no prior experience with a mouse,
used it backwards with the cord end facing toward her instead
of away from her. By the time I noticed her doing this, she had
been using it that way for several months and was quite used to
it.

Sorry for being a few days behind on this topic--I've been, and
still am, on leave. This is the last week, though, and I'll be
back at the old grind come Monday morning.

Bev Parks =^.^= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil