Thank you for your apology to TECHWR-L

Subject: Thank you for your apology to TECHWR-L
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 12:29:48 -0400

Chris Fada <fada_c_m -at- LUCY -dot- FINDLAY -dot- EDU> wrote:
>I appologize for my irrelevant and lude "question" sent out to the forum.
>It was inappropriate and will not happen again.
> (snip)
> I have no excuses, just a sincere apology.

Apology accepted. Thank you for being courteous, and not just ranting or
disappearing in a huff.

>My comment, in no way
>reflects the views or motives of the University of Findlay or it's students
>using your forum.

Understood. Inexperience and youthful exuberance can be a dangerous
combination --- unsettling for everybody concerned. I hope that you have
learned to do a bit of audience analysis (aka: lurking) and research (like
carefully reading the subscriber information) before your next post to a
newsgroup or mailing list.

There -are- (unfortunately) other groups where your comment would have
been considered normal. A bit of quiet lurking would have shown you that
-this- group isn't one of them. Like many other professional
organizations, we have little patience with events that waste our time or
appear to be disrespectful of the things we think are important.

And, like any other professional organization, we are more tolerant of
'family' than we are of strangers. Familiar electronic faces can
occasionally get away with an off-topic (or off-color) comment that will
earn a stranger a quick gift certificate for asbestos underwear.

>And now to unsubscribe...

As I understand it, your instructor is requiring that the whole class
unsubscribe. It's too bad he's over-reacting like that. It could have
been a good learning experience for the whole class.

This particular little flurry has given you a taste of the kind of
communication problem that you will occasionally run into in the working
world, whether you are a writer, an engineer, a teacher, or the guy who
sweeps the floor. There is -always- the potential for misunderstanding,
irritation, and anger in -any- exchange of words. If you remove yourself
from the discussion, then you are isolating yourself from people who can
help you learn.

I hope that you and your friends will try again, even if your instructor
disapproves. Lurk for awhile --- at least a week. See what kind of
questions are asked and answered. Observe the way people interact. Some
are more polite than others (just like real life<grin>).

Then, be brave; rephrase your question and try again. I'd suggest
something like:

"Hi, I'm a student in my first techwriting class and I have a
question. How important is physical appearance in
developing a career as a technical writer? Is it more
important for women than for men?"

I guarantee that you will get a different --- and better --- set of
that many people will find helpful.

And you just might learn something important.

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com