Managing a Tech Writing Group

Subject: Managing a Tech Writing Group
From: jim witkin <jmwitkin -at- TELEPORT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:28:59 -0700

I'm looking for some feedback.

I've been a tech writer for several years and now have the opportunity to
"move up" and manage a group of tech writers. I'm looking for advice. Please
respond to any of the following questions and concerns:

-Has anyone out there made this transition and what was it like (good points
/ bad points)?
-What skills from my tech writing career will transfer easily?
-What new skills will I need? Which skills are most important?
-What are the typical responsibilities of the tech pubs manager?
-What is a typical pay range for this job?
-Does anyone know of any good books on managing a tech pubs department?
-Anyone want to respond to "I wish my manager would..."?

Yout can write to me directly at jmwitkin -at- teleport -dot- com
thanks