Being on a marketing team

Subject: Being on a marketing team
From: K Watkins <KWATKINS -at- QUICKPEN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 16:34:00 -0300

On 24Oct95, Gretchen Toth (gretchen -dot- toth -at- iconovex -dot- com) wrote:

>How would you feel if out of the blue you were asked you to
>be on a 4-person team for the marketing of a new product?

Interrupted, mostly. In similar situations, I have learned to ask - as
insistently as necessary - what they want me to not get done while I work on
this team. My own sense of the priorities for using the-resource-that-is-me
suggests that putting me on such a team would be inefficient, and I might
well offer advice to this effect when the idea first came up...though that
bit about the marketing team getting to decide "the look of the interface"
would be tempting. In any case, if that's where the folks who run the
company want to make use of my talents, well, it's their call. (If such
tasks started to take over the bulk of my time, that might be a different
story.)

K Watkins
kwatkins -at- quickpen -dot- com
speaking for myself, not my employers