Re: What is API?

Subject: Re: What is API?
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 15:01:00 EST

"Could someone tell me what API stands for? I've seen that acronym in a
couple of posts lately. And while you are at it, what is SME? (or was
it EMS??) I've also seen that acronym thrown around in this list.

Thank you for enlightening a newbie.

Cecilia Vargas"

"API" is an acronym for "applications programming interface," and it refers
to a command or series of commands that are sent from an application to the
operating system on which the application is running. APIs are common on
Windows systems, for example. Many Windows applications are, in reality,
just vast bundles of API calls to the system, for things like window
creation and destruction, window sizing, buttons and other controls, etc. If
you're doing much software doc, it's enlightening to learn a little
programming with APIs, if only to make the developers feel less lonely.

A "SME" is a "subject matter expert." That's the guy you need but can never
get on the phone.

"EMS" is "extended memory." That's what an IBM compatible computer needs to
prevent cyber-senility. Sorry about that. Just choking with you.

Tim Altom
Vice President
Simply Written, Inc.
Technical Documentation and Training