Re: Training & manuals with product roll-out

Subject: Re: Training & manuals with product roll-out
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 08:47:48 PST

>As I think about this, maybe I need to educate my *future* clients about the
>video production process. I've seen some interesting postings here lately
>about that subject. In other words, I should insist that technical experts
>(engineers) be available to give me the information that I need as they know
>it. They should regard me as part of their team. Is this one of my solutions?

The clients don't need educating, exactly. They're indulging in wishful
thinking and jerking your around. They are at least somewhat aware of
this.

As a consultant, your job is to make your needs (and the consequences of
not meeting them) absolutely clear from the outset. I don't mean that
you should enumerate every little thing you will need, but that your
proposal state very clearly that you will need extensive support
from engineering in a particular time frame, extensive support from
marketing in a particular time frame, a working product that matches
the released product at a particular time frame, etc.

Then make sure the contract has penalty clauses that kick in if
THEY don't deliver on time. Idle cameras, studios, and personnel
are very expensive, after all. Give them a sweetheart
rate if they execute by the numbers, and charge them double otherwise.

Sometimes the motivating factor of money will cause your clients to
perform like heroes; sometimes they'll be glad to buy simply pay,
rather than divert their attention from their other tasks. Either
way, you win, if you set your rate structure up properly.

The last thing you want to be is a "member of the team." The
members of the team get jerked around like you wouldn't believe.
You need to be the consultant whose services are so expensive that
you must be given every consideration. Believe me, the clients will
think more highly of you if you cast yourself in this role.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841