Re. Upgrading your wordpro

Subject: Re. Upgrading your wordpro
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 16:22:33 LCL

Judy Crespi asked about upgrade options from WordPerfect
5.1, so a few thoughts:

- If you want to benefit from all the work you've been
doing so far learning to use WP, you might want to stick
with the Windows version. However, be aware that there
seems to be a 50:50 split between those who love it an hate
it. (The Mac version is great, FWIW, but you're not
switching computers so that's not an option.)

- Word 6 (now 7) is the Swiss Army knife of word
processors, but it also has its love/hate clubs. An
advantage of switching to Word is that it's the most
commonly requested wordpro in the universe (scary thought,
huh?) and learning it may significantly increase your
employability. There's also (usually) a cheap "competitive
upgrade offer" for WP users, so check with Microsoft first.

- AmiPro is a very serviceable wordprocessor, and its new
incarnation (Wordpro) looks pretty sharp (see latest issue
of PC Magazine for review... which I have yet to read);
it's also arguably the easiest wordprocessor to learn.
Problem is, it really annoys me oft-times (makes annoying
assumptions, can't export WP5.1 files reliably, worst spell
checker in the universe, etc.). It's available really
cheap, though, around $100. Again, learning new tools is
always helpful and might prompt you to investigate.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.