My use of profanity

Subject: My use of profanity
From: Michael Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:30:00 -0500

Someone sent me a complaint about my use of a profane word in a recent post
to TECHWR-L. I sent that person an individual response, but I'd also like
to post that response to all of you.

***************************** clip here ******************************

My use of profane language almost always comes as part of controlled,
deliberate intent, as it did in this case. I do not advocate anarchy in
the language or a descent into ubiquitous vulgarity. However, the use
of coarse language has its place in our society and can be an effective
means of communication.

Of course, some people will be offended by the use of words such as
"fucking," often reacting as though such words come from the devil himself.
But someone easily offended by an occasional profanity ought to focus
their petulant attention on the events all around us that are far more
offensive: physical violence, deception, sloth, and excessive materialism.

If my colleagues think less of me for my use of a particular word, one
directed at no particular individual or group, then that is a consequence
I am willing to live with.

I grew up in a blue collar town. I lived with, played with, fought with,
and learned with the sons and daughters of working class people. Of that
I am proud. Such people are unpretentious and communicate with others
directly, and use coarse language when appropriate. Most often, I would
rather be direct than use flowery language or innuendo.

-Mike

Michael Andrew Uhl Internet: uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov
Lead Technical Writer (NESC) Phone: (919) 541-4283
Lockheed Martin Fax: (919) 541-0056
Primary Support Contractor for the US EPA ftp site: ftp.nesc.epa.gov
Scientific Visualization Center, Research Triangle Park, NC
National Environmental Supercomputing Center (NESC), Bay City, MI
US EPA, Environmental Research Center, Research Triangle Park, NC