Re: couple of questions

Subject: Re: couple of questions
From: Kris Olberg <KJOlberg -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 13:46:38 -0500

In a message dated 95-11-07 00:22:34 EST, janeb -at- IADFW -dot- NET (Jane Bergen)
writes:

>We're under fire at work. Suddenly our boss thinks that tech writers
>ought to be able to read C and do telephony scripting using C
>commands. He says that he and the president of our company think that
>"most tech writers ought to be capable of this." Is this true?

No. As a rule, most tech writers are not programmers also. Do you know the
motivation for this? Is the company short of resources?

>I have seen books like "Teach Yourself C in 21 days" --- has anyone
>tried this and how helpful was it? I'm willing to buy the book with
>the thought that I might at least become knowledgeable about C,
>though I do not entertain any thoughts of becoming a C programmer.

You can certainly try. No one can say for sure whether you can or cannot
successfully learn enough about C in a short amount of time to apply it. But
beware! Programming is a skill of logic and precision. Some people are
naturals at programming, and some people will never understand it. I wouldn't
commit to anything with your boss until you have a better feel for whether
you can learn enough to apply it successfully.

Regards...Kris