Re: Incorporated Independent Contractors

Subject: Re: Incorporated Independent Contractors
From: Peter Kent <71601 -dot- 1266 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:00:19 EST

Lori Lathrop wrote: <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>

>>>So I gave it some serious thought and, fortunately, Ifound a good attorney
who advised me that getting incorporated would bemuch more trouble than it's
worth unless I plan to expand my business andhire employees.
The best advice anyone can give you is to thoroughly examine your own
situation and the various requirements in your state. And, if you'r e
seriously interested in the advantages and disadvantages of
incorporating,consult a good local attorney.
BTW, although I have had to jump through some hoops to satisfy clients'legal
departments, I have never lost a client because I am notincorporated.<<<

Lori, this is excellent advice. (Of course I would think that, considering my
position in this argument...)

Incorporation is not to be taken lightly, and is usually unnecessary.

Peter Kent

Peter Kent: 71601 -dot- 1266 -at- compuserve -dot- com, 303-989-1869
Coming soon, an updated and revised Technical Writer's Freelancing
Guide. E-mail for more information. Comments/suggestions welcome.