Re: "errata?"

Subject: Re: "errata?"
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 14:47:00 +1100

I'm writing a page of corrections to a manual. What do you usually
call such pages? Someone suggested "errata". Someone else thought
Latin will only confuse our international readers. Any suggestions?


If it is a page of corrections why not call it that? I find that Latin
usually confuses, especially as people of my generation have never
studied Latin. We normally head the page as "Corrections to XXXXX"
Corrections imply that you are giving the correct advice, errata to the
unitiated implys that you are only listing errors, the two have different
meanings. With the diverse audience in a company now, I don't believe we
as technical writers can assume knowlege of Latin. Plain English is

Colleen Dancer
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au

Previous by Author: Question about making a index entry
Next by Author: Re: "Indexing HTML documents"
Previous by Thread: Why I write AND design
Next by Thread: Re: "Indexing HTML documents"

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads